- Taste: rich, sultry, succulent
- Texture: silky, high oil content, dense
- Source: Pacific Islands, Central America
- Catch Method: bycatch from the longline tuna fishery
- Availability: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Good Alternative (Hawaii, longline caught) - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: grill, bake, broil, smoke
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/4 pound) Calories 210, Fat 8g, Cholesterol 34mg, Sodium 55mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 27g, Calcium 75mg, Iron 0mg, Potassium 0mg, Vitamin A 0mg, Vitamin D 0 UI, Omega 3's 1500mg
Escolar inhabits temperate and tropical waters worldwide and is harvested as a bycatch of the longline tuna fleets. We sell Pacific escolar primarily out of Hawaii because the time-to-market is quick, and the quantity harvested is sustainable.
Escolar is in an epicurean class with Chilean sea bass and Black Cod and is prized for its high oil content and buttery, rich flavor. Escolar has purgative properties and will clean out your digestive system if more that ¼ is consumed within a 36-hour period. It is completely natural, but please make a note of this important fact before serving your guests regular-sized portions of this fish.