- Product Form Upon Delivery: raw, de-veined, shell-on
- Size: Medium (21/25 shrimp per pound)
- Species: Litopenaeus setiferus (White shrimp)
- Temperature History: IQF, once-frozen, thawed at 38 F at our facility at the Port of Seattle
- Taste: sweet and mild
- Texture: resilient, tender, springy
- Origin: Indo-Pacific - Thailand, India, Vietnam, Philippines
- Catch Method: aquaculture
- Availability: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Good Alternative - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: Sauté, Boil, Steam, Poach, Grill, Broil, Sear
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 211, Fat 1.8g, Cholesterol 225mg, Sodium 500mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 35g, Calcium 220mg, Iron 1mg, Vitamin B12 1mcg, Potassium 651mg, Vitamin A 32mcg, Vitamin D 0 UI, Omega 3's ~ 50mg
The EZ-Peel White shrimp are de-veined, but the shell remains intact to hold the flavor while cooking. White shrimp are tender and springy and the flavor is sweet and mild. These are a good, low-cost add-on to any order.
White shrimp are grown in various aquaculture environments in the Indo-Pacific because the cost of production is but a fraction of that incurred by harvesting wild-stock, like in the Gulf of Mexico. On its face, it would seem like the aquaculture harvest would relieve the ocean from unnecessary fishing pressures, but it still exerts its own environmental pressures and in a different direction. The waste from the shrimp aquaculture systems can be extremely damaging to the nearby environments that in comes in contact with, but it is very possible to shift to a more sustainable farming approach without much cost. Waste recycling and re-purposing can become an industry in its own right and the environmental damage can be relived.