*This 10-pound, Fresh Opah pack will either arrive as one loin or two, 5-pound loins, depending upon the attributes of the fish on-hand.
- Taste: sweet, mild
- Texture: firm, lean, dense, steaky
- Species: Lampris guttatus, Lampris spp., (Opah, Moonfish)
- Catch Region: Hawaii, Eastern and Western Central Pacific Ocean
- Catch Method: Incidental catch from the Tuna fishery - (deep-set longlines)
- Availability: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Good Alternative (Hawaii and Eastern and Western Central Pacific), deep-set longlines) - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: grill, bake, broil, blackened, poach
- Pack Size: by the 10-pound pack, fresh
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 240, Fat 5.3g, Cholesterol 46mg, Sodium 80mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 56g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 3.2mg, Potassium 544mg, Potassium 634mg, Iron 1.5mg, Omega 3's < 100mg
In a few words, Opah is dry, sweet, and steaky. The flavor is mild and well-balanced, and would best be described as being like a very lean swordfish.
Opah is an incidental catch, and not directly targeted, which makes it fairly sustainable; however, and because of this, population stock assessments are not conducted. Even though the population levels are presumed to be stable, according to NOAA, flags should be raised and more action is needed to get more data on Opah populations.