- Flavor Profile: delicate and complex, minerally, fresh ocean flavor
- Texture Profile: firm yet delicate, mushroom-like texture, meaty
- Shell Size: 2" to 4"
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Origin: SE Alaska, PNW
- Catch Method: natural aquaculture
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: sautéed, poached, steamed, fire-roasted
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 389, Fat 9g, Cholesterol 63mg, Sodium 646mg, Carbohydrates 8g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 30g, Calcium 69mg, Iron 9mg, Potassium 851mg, Vitamin A 127mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 1mg
Mediterranean mussels are harvested globally in cooler waters, and the Pacific Northwest to the Southeast Alaskan coast is a super prime growing region for this species. The mussels are rope-grown in cold, powerful tidal currents, and are free of sand and grit as a result. Our facility is located in Seattle, which gives us the unique advantage of not only sourcing the best Alaskan shellfish, but to also target some of the fantastic shellfish that the PNW has to offer. We are able to ship out Mediterranean mussels that have come out of the water that same day.
Storage and handling
- Store the mussels in the fridge between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open the bag slightly so they can breath - they may arrive with a few small holes in the bag so they can breath during transit.
- Eat within 2 days
- These mussels are intended to stay alive until they are cooked
- Discard any mussels in which the shell is stuck open and not responsive to touch or heat - indicating that it is dead
- Discard any mussels that don't open after cooking
*Mediterranean mussels are named after the Mediterranean region in which they are endemic.