- Product Form Upon Delivery: raw, whole
- Size: Medium (2-4 lbs ea)
- Species: Enteroctopus dofleini
- Temperature History: FAS, IQF, once-frozen, thawed at 38 F at our facility at the Port of Seattle
- Taste: mild, sweet, ocean salt
- Texture: tender and slightly rubbery
- Origin: North Pacific
- Catch Method: pots, by-catch of the cod fishery
- Availability: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: Use bold flavors while searing, grilling, sautéing, poaching. Cook it either hot and fast, or slow with moisture.
- Pack Size: by the pound (we portion whole octopus to meet your order)
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/4 pound) Calories 260, Fat 4.5g, Cholesterol 250mg, Sodium 2000mg, Carbohydrates 1.6g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars .5g, Protein 52g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg, Vitamin A 0mcg, Omega 3's < 30mg
The fishery for Pacific octopus is rated as "Best Choice" by the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch because only small volumes are harvested from the by-catch of the cod and Dungeness crab fisheries. While cooking with octopus, remember that it will absorb whatever seasoning is applied very well. It's a good candidate for a long marinade and quick sear on the barbeque.