- Flavor Profile: mild, sweet, fresh ocean flavor, light brine finish
- Texture Profile: firm, plump, meaty
- Shell Size: 2" to 3"
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Origin: SE Alaska, PNW
- Catch Method: natural aquaculture
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: sautéed, poached, steamed, fire-roasted
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 195, Fat 5g, Cholesterol 61mg, Sodium 651mg, Carbohydrates 8g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 27g, Calcium 49mg, Iron 9mg, Potassium 651mg, Vitamin A 117mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 1mg
The Pacific Blue mussel is harvested in cooler waters on both sides of the North Pacific, but the Pacific Northwest and Alaska is where most of these tender and delicious mussels come from for US distribution. The mussels are rope-grown in cold, powerful tidal currents, are not grown on the seabed, and are free of sand and grit as a result. Our facility is located in Seattle, WA and we are able to ship out Pacific Blue mussels that have come out of the water that same day.
Storage and handling
- Store the mussels in the fridge between 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit
- Open the bag slightly so they can breath - they may arrive with a few small holes in the bag so they can breath during transit.
- Eat within 2 days
- These mussels are intended to stay alive until they are cooked
- Discard any mussels in which the shell is stuck open and not responsive to touch or heat - indicating that it is dead
- Discard any mussels that don't open after cooking