- Taste: medium flavor, meaty undertones, light minerally finish
- Texture: firm with large flakes, dense, and tender when served raw/rare/medium rare.
- Origin: Hawaii and Pacific Islands
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Catch Method: Trolling lines, Unassociated Purse Seine
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Best Choice (Trolling lines) / Good Alternative (Unassociated Purse Seine, non-FAD) - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: raw, grilled, seared, ceviche
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 249, Fat 2.5g, Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 81mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 53g, Calcium 41mg, Iron 7mg, Potassium 1008mg, Vitamin A 135mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 543mg
In Japanese, Saku means block. This heart-of-the-watermelon, sashimi-grade cut from the Ahi Tuna Loin is uniform which makes it perfect for sashimi slices, searing, and salads.
Yellowfin Tuna has a medium flavor, meaty undertones, and a light minerally finish. The texture is firm with large flakes, dense, and tender when served raw/rare/medium rare.
Yellowfin tuna is harvested sub-tropically worldwide, but most of our tuna comes out of Hawaii and the Pacific Islands. Global sustainability concerns remain strong, but West Coast and Pacific Islands fisheries management has been relatively successful in implementing sustainable fishing standards. However, international cooperation and management is needed to create long-term sustainability for this species because of its highly migratory behavior.