- Flavor Profile: medium flavor, rich, buttery, meaty
- Texture Profile: firm, large flakes, dense, tender when served raw/rare/medium rare
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Origin: Mediterranean Sea
- Catch Method: trolling lines, pole, long-line
- Seasonality: year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Poor (troll and pole, Mediterranean) - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: raw, seared, grilled, ceviche, sauté, poached, sushi
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/2 pound) Calories 275, Fat 3.2g, Cholesterol 108mg, Sodium 81mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 50g, Calcium 40mg, Iron 8mg, Potassium 1003mg, Vitamin A 134mg, Vitamin D 0mcg, Omega 3's 575mg
The Bluefin tuna is the fattiest of all the tunas and is richer and more flavorful than the Yellowfin. A sashimi preparation is ideal for this prized species, but a medium-rare sear on the grill works too. The beautiful deep red and purple color is matched by the addictively rich ocean flavor and dense, tender texture.
Most of our Bluefin is coming out of Spain and the Mediterranean and averaging 300-600 Lbs. headed and gutted. It is harvested with trolling lines, pole, and deep-set longlines in deeper water than the Yellowfin or Big Eye tuna and it feeds voraciously in order to build up the fat necessary to live at those cooler depths.