- Preservation History: Frozen IQF, partially thawed to remove ice before shipping
- Size: Super Colossal and Colossal mixed (4/6's and 6/9's)
- Size description: Legs weigh between .75 Lb and 1.25 Lb each
- Form upon delivery: Individual legs, orders over 5 Lbs may get a claw
- Taste: sweet, rich, light brine, succulent
- Texture: body cluster meat: firm, clumpy, slightly more dry and less delicate than the leg sections, meaty. leg meat: tender, moist, buttery mouthfeel, meat sections hold form when removed from shell
- Species: Paralithodes camtschaticus
- Origin: Norway, Barents Sea
- Catch Method: Trap
- Availability: Year-round
- Sustainability Rating: Good Alternative - Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch
- Recommended Preparation: These huge crab legs will come cooked and ready-to-eat. A quick steam (4 min) will bring out that deep ocean flavor.
- Pack Size: by the pound
- Nutritional Info (serving size 2/3 pound) Calories 223, Fat 1.6g, Cholesterol 111mg, Sodium 2223mg, Carbohydrates 0g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars 0g, Protein 48g, Calcium 122mg, Iron 1.5mg, Potassium 542mg, Vitamin A 18mcg, Vitamin D 0 UI, Omega 3's ~ 450mg
The Red King crab from Norway, colloquially referred to as Alaska Red King Crab, is the largest and best tasting of the three commercially available species of King crab. The Blue King crab and the Golden King crab are smaller, less sweet, and not nearly as flavorful. The Red King crab is succulent, sweet, rich, and moist. The meat holds true to its form when removed from the shell, the sections tend to be quite large, and the recovery ratio of meat-to-shell is good.
The Red King Crab is currently being fished in Norway to relieve some of the pressures of over-fishing in AK, which is currently rebounding.
Alaska King crab is sized by according to the number of crab legs in a ten-pound package. Legs labeled ‘9/12’, for example, have between 9 and 12 legs per 10-pound box.
Alaskan King Crab (x-Norway) is cooked while still live to preserve the best flavor and texture. We thaw your frozen Red King crab in a 37-degree cooler and then give it a quickly rinse. It is shipped out to you in a ready-to-eat form, but we recommend steaming the crab for 4 minutes first to bring out its optimal flavor.