- Product Form Upon Delivery: raw, whole
- Size: Medium (2-4 lbs ea)
- Species: Octopus vulgaris
- Temperature History: FAS, IQF, once-frozen, thawed at 38 F at our facility at the Port of Seattle
- Taste: mild, sweet, ocean salt
- Texture: tender when cooked properly
- Origin: Northern Mediterranean Sea, Spain
- Catch Method: jig
- Availability: year-round
- Recommended Preparation: Use bold flavors while searing, grilling, sautéing, poaching. Cook it either hot and fast, or slow with moisture.
- Pack Size: by the pound (we portion whole octopus to meet your order)
- Nutritional Info (serving size 1/4 pound) Calories 260, Fat 4.5g, Cholesterol 250mg, Sodium 2000mg, Carbohydrates 1.6g, Fiber, 0g, Sugars .5g, Protein 52g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg, Vitamin A 0mcg, Omega 3's < 30mg
The soft cool waters of the Mediterranean produce the best tasting Octopus in the world. The Spanish Octopus is fattier and sweeter than the Pacific Octopus and is preferred by most chefs. While cooking with octopus, remember that it will absorb whatever seasoning is applied very well. It's a good candidate for a long marinade and quick sear on the barbeque.